Online students are welcome to use the Law Library facilities on-campus. Please check our hours here. If you would like to visit the Law Library, please make sure to bring your Fordham electronic I.D., especially during exam time when the Law Library limits access for non-law students.
The Law Library offers study space for our students in the form of desks, carrels, and computer labs, as well as study rooms. If you plan to be on campus and would like to book a study room, you may do so by following these instructions.
The Maloney Law Library has a vast collection of books & ebooks, periodicals and databases, which you can find through our website.
Here are some videos that will help you use our website:
If you need help finding material or would like research help for a class, paper or topic, please contact our reference librarians:
- by phone at 212-636-6908
- by email at email@example.com
- using our Chat with a Librarian feature
Lexis, Westlaw and Bloomberg Law are all databases that contain legal materials such as statutes, regulations and cases, as well as other materials to help you understand the law such as treatises and practice materials.
NOTE: Online students will receive their logon credentials for these databases via email.
To help you learn how to sign on and use these databases, please watch the videos below. If you have any questions, please contact us at the Reference Desk.
Online students can get books, book chapters and articles from the Law Library. If the Law Library does not have the book or article you need, you may request them through our InterLibrary Loan (ILL) department.
Online students may check out materials in person or by mail, depending on where they live.
Please note: The Maloney Law Library will not ship required textbooks or any item marked Reserve/Course Reserve in the catalog, nor can we accept interlibrary loan requests for these materials.
To qualify for our mail service, students must:
- live 25 or more miles away from campus
- reside in the United States
- NOT be taking any course where they are required to be on-campus once per week; and
- have a residential address for shipping, not a P.O. Box.
If you decide to use our mail service, you will be limited to five shipped books at any one time. The five book limit includes both Maloney Law Library books and books from outside libraries via ILL. Prepaid return packaging will be provided.
You should make book, book chapter and article requests through the Law Library’s Law ILLiad system. See Using Law ILLiad below. The Library will generally deliver book chapter and article requests via email. Remember that all requests for copies must comply with copyright law.
If you are an online student living within a 25-mile radius, you must come to the Maloney Library to check out books. You may make a request to place a hold on a book by contacting the Library’s Document Delivery office at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Law Library’s Law ILLiad system. See Using Law ILLiad below.
Please note: the Law Library will not hold required textbooks or any item marked Reserve/Course Reserve in the catalog. We also cannot accept interlibrary loan requests for these materials.
If you have any questions, please contact the Law Library’s Document Delivery and InterLibrary Loan department at email@example.com.
Use Law ILLiad to request the materials outlined above.
Create a Law ILLiad account:
- Go to the Law ILLiad site
- Click on “First Time User Registration”
- Carefully read the information
- Create your own username and password
Make your request:
- Gather the following bibliographic information about the needed material:
- Page numbers
- Login to your Law ILLiad account
- To create a Law ILLiad account see the section above
- Place a request according to the type of material needed:
- Use “Request a Photocopy” for articles, book chapters, or any item within a larger work
- Use “Request a Book” for all other items
- If neither of these options seems appropriate, contact the Reference Desk at 212-636-6908 or firstname.lastname@example.org